Everything You Need To Know About Blind Installation
Installing blinds in your home is a great way to safeguard your property against theft, protect your belongings against sun damage, and even do your bit to fight climate change. If you’re thinking about installing blinds in your home, you’ll need to start preparing and planning for your blind installation as soon as possible - especially if you plan on installing them yourself.
In this guide, we’re going to go over absolutely everything you need to know about blind installation: from setting up your blinds in the most optimal spot in your home to hiring blind installers to get the job done for you.
Benefits of installing blinds
So, why install smart blinds? Here are just a few reasons blinds (both smart and manual) are becoming an increasingly popular addition to UK homes:
- Improved security. Installing automatic smart blinds can give you peace of mind about the security of your property when you’re abroad or not at home. The blinds will close automatically at night (you’ll need to set this up), dissuading potential intruders by giving them the impression that you’re at home.
- Help to prevent sun damage on wood surfaces. Sun damage can wear down wooden surfaces and even certain fabrics with long-term exposure: if you have ceiling windows that can be covered with traditional blinds or curtains, a smart blind can be installed to prevent discoloration, faded wood, and generic sun damage.
- Can help you do your bit to fight climate change. With more control over the light entering your property, you’re less likely to waste energy on lighting - and even heating on warmer, summer days! Smart blinds can help you do your bit to fight climate change.
- Add value to your home. Installing smart technology in your home can add significant market value to your property: you can add around £16000 in value to your home by adding smart technology.
Installing Blinds: step by step
So, how do you go about installing blinds in your home? Here’s our at-home guide for blinds installation:
Decide on top fixing or face fixing
When you install your blinds, you’ll install them via either an inside or outside mounting.
Inside Mounting: An inside-mounting method means you’ll screw the blind brackets within the window frame. This won’t give you a blackout option, as some light might still be able to seep through, but the blinds will be fitted snugly around the window, looking very neat and compact.
Outside mounting: If you opt for outside mounting, the brackets will be screwed onto the ceiling or wall above the window. This means you’ll be able to enjoy a blackout feature, as the blinds are going to cover both the window and the wall around it.
Slide the blinds into their brackets
Slide your blinds into their respective brackets, holding them in your desired position. Make sure to mark the position for later on, when you’ll use a drill to secure the brackets into place. You can also use a screwdriver, but a drill is faster and more practical - but make sure you know how to use it safely.
Screw in the blinds
Pop your blind brackets into the position you marked out in the last step, screwing them securely. If you're installing electric blinds, hold them in parallel to their brackets, fix the end of the blinds (not the motorized end, and pop the + sign plunger into the + sign bracket. You should be able to hear a popping sound as it slides into place. Next, all you need to do is fix the motor head side of the blinds into its bracket. And job is done!
Preparing your home for blind installation
Before you install blinds in your home, you’ll need to take the following factors into consideration:
Decide on a location
Make sure you’ve decided where you want to install your blinds before ordering them: you’ll need to take important measurements and ensure that your blinds aren’t going to cause difficulties when it comes to opening and closing your windows. You’ll also want to think about your belongings: if you’re planning on installing smart blinds to help protect your soft furnishing or hard floorings, you’ll need to make strategic decisions on where to place them.
When taking measurements for your blinds, don’t forget to decide whether or not you want your blinds to cover the window and its surrounding areas, or just the window itself. If you want your blinds to also cover part of the wall or ceiling, you’ll need to increase your measurements slightly.
Make sure all renovations are finished first
You don’t want to end up installing your blinds only to end up re-installing them again later on - if you have work needing to be done on your house (such as painting the wall around the blinds) it’s best to ensure this is complete before any blind installation takes place.
When to Hire an Installation Expert
If you’re not a fan of DIY, or if you simply don’t like the idea of using a drill to install your blinds securely, you can always hire an installation expert instead. Benefits of hiring a blind installation expert include:
- Seamless installation. An expert will ensure that no mistakes are made during your blind installation, which can end up costing more money to fix.
- Preventing any injuries. It’s easier than you think to injure yourself with a drill or a screwdriver, especially if your windows are on the ceiling and require a ladder to access them. A blind installation expert will come equipped with all the necessary tools and equipment to carry out the job safely and securely.
- You’ll be able to enjoy your blinds right away. Rather than spending an afternoon installing your blinds yourself and testing them repeatedly to see if they work, you can leave it to an expert to get the job done for you. They’ll get it done swiftly and efficiently, allowing you to enjoy your new blinds as soon as they’re finished.
Blind installation Newbury
Interested in installing window blinds or hiring a professional blind installation service? SmartBlinds offers shutters, smart blinds, and awnings across the Newbury area. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a friendly consultation.
Choose a topicLiquid error: can't find partial "layouts/modules/module_3/collection". url: www.smartblinds.org/post/everything-you-need-to-know-about-blind-installation page: post partial stack: module, modules/siteglide_system/module, modules/siteglide_system/model_cache_wrapper, modules/siteglide_system/model, layouts/modules/module_3/default/detail/wrapper, modules/siteglide_system/get/get_items, layouts/modules/module_3/default/detail/item, modules/siteglide_system/get/get_categories, module, modules/siteglide_system/module, modules/siteglide_system/model_cache_wrapper, modules/siteglide_system/model
Make a no-obligation appointment today
Modern and traditional styles, fabrics to compliment your rooms. Whatever your needs: function or aesthetics (or both!), we have the experience and product range to offer you the best solution. For great customer service and a stunning result, speak to us today on 01635 866600 (West Berkshire) or 01189 509449 (Reading)